Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Mexico, and the ALMOST joy of having a wildly counterintuitive result

While entering some other data, I had a chance to see that on paper, much as in real life, New Mexico is perhaps one of the most nuanced and diverse of states. Specifically, New Mexico has a high percentage of people who do not speak English at home. And in many places, a low percentage of people who are foreign born. I wanted to look at these numbers more closely, and I got:
It would be awesome if I could say there is a negative correlation between English speaking and native born people, but actually there is...no correlation. Don't let the blue line fool you, its very gradual slope is close enough to flat.
If I knew more about New Mexico, I could probably make more sense out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment